On September 9, 2013 the representatives of seven associations dealing with different aspects of water issues held a meeting in Chengdu, China to discuss ways to collaborate on ways to enhance water security around the world. The seven associations represented in the meeting were:
- International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research (IAHR)
- International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS)
- International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD)
- International Water Resources Association (IWRA)
- International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID)
- World Association for Sedimentation and Erosion Research (WASER)
At the conclusion of the meeting the Presidents of these seven associations signed a Declaration on Water Security, stating the goals of their collaboration. Those at the meeting agreed to continue collaborating as a working group towards the goals of the pdf Water Security Declaration .