WCCE attends UN's First Multi-stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals
The first annual Multi-stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals (STI Forum) will take place on 6-7 June 2016 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. The 2016 STI Forum will address the topic "realizing the potential of science, technology and innovation for all to achieve the sustainable development goals."
WCCE delegation to the Forum comprises our President, Alfonso González and our Communications Director, Ramiro Aurín. The objective of our attendance is to show the commitment of WCCE and its members organizations to UN's Sustainable Development Goals and contribute for its accomplishment.
As part of the Technology Facilitation Mechanism mandated by the 2030 Agenda and the Addis Ababa Action Agenda, the annual collaborative Multi-stakeholder Forum on science, technology and innovation for the sustainable development Goals (STI Forum) is expected to "provide a venue for facilitating interaction, matchmaking and the establishment of networks between relevant stakeholders and multi-stakeholder partnerships in order to identify and examine technology needs and gaps, including with regard to scientific cooperation, innovation and capacity-building, and also in order to help facilitate development, transfer and dissemination of relevant technologies for the sustainable development goals." It will "discuss science, technology and innovation cooperation around thematic areas for the implementation of the sustainable development goals, congregating all relevant stakeholders to actively contribute in their area of expertise."
The forum and its preparation will be guided by the following questions:
- Why are science, technology and innovation essential for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals? Please provide one or more concrete examples that, in your experience, best exemplify this.
- What are the main opportunities and challenges – at policy, organisational and individual levels - for maximizing the contribution of science, technology and innovation to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals?
- What are the key elements that countries and international organizations may need to take into account in formulating action plans and/or roadmaps for science, technology and innovation for the Sustainable Development Goals?
- How can we deploy existing knowledge and new, innovative solutions and technologies and make them more readily available to those who need them?
- What would be success criteria for the STI Forum in the coming years? What questions should the STI Forum focus on?
Further information on UN's Sustainable Development Goals can be consulted in the following link.